The University Hospital of the West Indies
KINGSTON, Jamaica – Two senior managers at the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) have resigned following the deaths of newborns from bacterial infections in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
The hospital’s Chief Executive Officer Dr Cecil White and Professor Trevor McCartney, Senior Director Medical Services, reportedly submitted their resignation letters on Monday.
Meanwhile, the board of the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) says it has established a task force to monitor and review the hospital’s operations in a bid to ensure quick implementation of the PAHO recommendations and operational best practices.
The team, according to a release from UHWI late Monday, comprises representatives from the UHWI Board, UHWI senior staff members and the Ministry of Health.
They are tasked with monitoring the development at the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), ensure strictest adherence to established protocols and procedures, while conducting a comprehensive review of the management structures of the institution.
UHWI also says bi-weekly updates will be issued by the team which will closely monitor the institution to ensure that mandated corrective measures are strictly adhered to.
Chairman of the board of the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) Sterling Soares has pointed fingers at the hospital’s management for not bringing the outbreak of the deadly bacteria to the attention of the health minister in a timely manner.
Soares said “investigation carried out by the board into the circumstances surrounding the outbreak of bacterial infection at the hospital, revealed serious breaches of reporting and standard operational protocols as well as a lack of sufficient urgency on the part of its management to efficiently deal with problems that have arisen from time to time”.
He said many of the issues facing the institution pointed to deficiencies in management and supervision.
As it relates to resources, he observed, “that the pharmaceutical budget for the hospital had been increased for the financial year 2015/2016 by some 300 per cent to $926 million while the budget for medical and other supplies is increased by over 23 per cent to $505 million”.
The chairman emphasised that the, “board is committed to restoring the hospital to its status as the premiere health care centre in the Region and to remove any negative cloud on the reputation of the hospital and it’s dedicated and hard working professionals that may have been created over the past week”.
Published By: The Observer
279 total views, 1 today