KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) has announced that Cabinet has approved the appointment of new Boards of Management for the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) and the Western Regional Health Authority.
The new Board for the Western Regional Health Authority will be chaired by hotelier Tony Hart, OPM said in a release.
Other members are:
- Merrick Fray – businessman
- Desmond Leakey – farmer
- Norman Wayne Vaccianna – businessman
- Dr Roy McGregor – medical practitioner
- Bishop Burchell McPherson – Roman Catholic bishop of Montego Bay
- Mayor Berthel Moore –Westmoreland Parish Council
- Mayor Glendon Harris – Local Board of Health
- Marva Lawson- Byfield- public health nurse
- Rev Devere Nugent – minister of religion
- Ex officio members including: the regional director; the senior medical officer of the Regional Hospital and the chief executive officer of the Regional Hospital.
- The board of University Hospital of the West Indies will be chaired by businessman James Moss Solomon.
- Other members are:
- Sterling Soares – businessman
- Dr Carl Bruce- consultant neurosurgeon
- Jack Shirley – banker
- Walter Scott QC – lawyer
- Ian Moore – businessman
- Dr Janet Coore Farr – NAJ and
- A nominee from the Medical Association of Jamaica, MAJ
Ex-officio Members include:
- the vice chancellor of the University of the West Indies
- the dean of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of the West Indies
- the chief medical officer, Jamaica
- the financial Secretary, Jamaica
- the bursar of the University of the West Indies
- the chairman of the Medical Committee of the HospitalGiven the complexity of the health sector, Cabinet has given the two boards the latitude to co-opt any individual with the requisite skills that they deem necessary to advance their mandate, the OPM release noted. Health Minister Horace Dalley says with the complex and important issues facing the health sector, it was necessary to move swiftly with the appointment following the en bloc resignation of the previous Boards. The appointment of the new Boards become effective today and will be for a three-year period, OPM said.
Published By: The Observer
383 total views, 1 today